Burping or belching is a natural reaction of our body to excessive air in the stomach. But sometimes due to reasons like stress, greasy food, etc. it can become very frequent and inconvenient. Below are several advices on how to take it under control or even make it disappear.
- Cut on food which produces lots of air in the stomach. Examples are onions, milk, ice cream, etc.. You should be able to find such food yourself by noting after which food belching increases.
- Try not to swallow too much air when you’re eating. This usually happens when you speak too much when eating. Also some people tend to swallow very frequently when eating which causes additional air in the stomach.
- Cut on sodas, beer and other carbonated drinks which cause a lot of excessive belching. This is a simplest method to stop this habit.
- Do not swallow air when speaking. This is a very common problem to many people. When we speak about something we tend to unconsciously swallow air. Ask someone from your family to help you control your excessive burping. Ask them to look at you when you speak and give you a signal every time you swallow air.
- Some people develop aerophagia which is unconscious swallowing of air. Working on getting rid of it should help a lot.
Researchers found that repetitive and bothersome belches originate from a distinct belch pattern, characterised by air that does not reach the stomach. They suspect that excessive belching is some kind of learned behaviour that is initially induced consciously. After a while, however, this control is lost. Recent confirmed that burping was behavioural, rather than indicating a serious medical problem.